Left & Right-most columns of window?

Tim Johnson
"Inquiring minds want to know ...."

I've just transitioned from Xemacs to gnu Emacs.
(version 21.2.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bar)

I notice that there is a non-responive column at
the rightmost and leftmost positions of each window.
What are their purposes, name and where is documentation?

TIA
tim
--
Tim Johnson <[hidden email]>

Re: Left & Right-most columns of window?

David Kastrup
Tim Johnson <[hidden email]> writes:

> "Inquiring minds want to know ...."
>
> I've just transitioned from Xemacs to gnu Emacs.
> (version 21.2.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bar)
>
> I notice that there is a non-responive column at
> the rightmost and leftmost positions of each window.
> What are their purposes, name and where is documentation?

"fringes", and they should be documented in the NEWS file (C-h N or
so) and in the manual.

Re: Left & Right-most columns of window?

optional
If you type a long line that wraps over to the next line, these will
have an arrow indicating that.
-Siva