Horizontal Scroll (mode-line)

Esben Stien
It would be nice with a way to horizontally scroll the mode-line. I
always fill it up and it's hard to read the entire contents of it.

--
Esben Stien is b0ef@e     s      a
         http://www. s     t    n m

Re: Horizontal Scroll (mode-line)

Joe Corneli
Presumably you can get the modestring to pop up in a temporary buffer.
You might look at the variable mode-line-format and go from there.
I'm not sure what code is used to parse the mode-line-format into the
string you see in the modeline.

Re: Horizontal Scroll (mode-line)

Johan Bockgård
Joe Corneli <[hidden email]> writes:

> Presumably you can get the modestring to pop up in a temporary
> buffer. You might look at the variable mode-line-format and go from
> there. I'm not sure what code is used to parse the mode-line-format
> into the string you see in the modeline.

Emacs 22 has `format-mode-line'. In Emacs 21 this functionality is not
directly accessible from lisp. (You can look for the library
"apply-mode-line-format.el" by Kevin Rodgers though.)

--
Johan Bockg?rd