Gnus: Thread notes?

Michael Heerdegen
Hi,

do you know the problem that after some time, you have forgotten which
messages of a thread were important, and what you wanted to do after
some consent has been made?

I would like a simple feature in Gnus that could be described as "Thread
notes": when I click on a message, a file (maybe org) opens, maybe with
a link back to that message (the file itself would be attached to the
thread) where you could store some notes about the thread.  When you
later need to reconsider that thread, that file would serve as a summary
of the aspects that were important to you, with links to the messages
and text passages, so you spare the time to re-read the whole thread and
find the passages yourself.

Is something like that already possible, with means of Gnus or Org, that
is similarly convenient?  I'm not a heavy org-mode user, so I would
prefer a solution that is build up on Gnus instead of Org.

Or do people have other interesting workflows that are worth sharing
helping with that kind of problem?

Regards,

Michael.

Re: Gnus: Thread notes?

Danny YUE
Hi Michael,

I think you can do it in a reverse way:
org-capture a note when using Gnus and comment something, Org Mode will
*remember* the source/place where you capture a note, i.e. the ID of
email in this case.

Org Mode will attach a link to the original email that you can open and
jump to the email.

I think you need to somehow configure Org Mode to accomplish that.
(Please look at variable `org-capture-templates'.)

Is that sufficient enough for your needs?

Danny

On 2017-10-12 12:44, Michael Heerdegen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> do you know the problem that after some time, you have forgotten which
> messages of a thread were important, and what you wanted to do after
> some consent has been made?
>
> I would like a simple feature in Gnus that could be described as "Thread
> notes": when I click on a message, a file (maybe org) opens, maybe with
> a link back to that message (the file itself would be attached to the
> thread) where you could store some notes about the thread.  When you
> later need to reconsider that thread, that file would serve as a summary
> of the aspects that were important to you, with links to the messages
> and text passages, so you spare the time to re-read the whole thread and
> find the passages yourself.
>
> Is something like that already possible, with means of Gnus or Org, that
> is similarly convenient?  I'm not a heavy org-mode user, so I would
> prefer a solution that is build up on Gnus instead of Org.
>
> Or do people have other interesting workflows that are worth sharing
> helping with that kind of problem?
>

> Regards,
>
> Michael.

Re: Gnus: Thread notes?

Göktuğ Kayaalp
On 2017-10-12 14:44 +02, Michael Heerdegen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I would like a simple feature in Gnus that could be described as "Thread
> notes": when I click on a message, a file (maybe org) opens, maybe with
> a link back to that message (the file itself would be attached to the
> thread) where you could store some notes about the thread.

IDK how you'd do this exact thing but, you can call ‘org-store-link’
when viewing a message in Gnus, and then in an Org mode file, when you
hit C-c C-l, a popup menu will list the stored link(s, in case you store
more than one), there you can choose the link you want.  Also, in Gnus
you can ‘tick’ articles with ‘!’, and they'll remain on the top of the
Summary listing until you untick them (M-u).

--
İ. Göktuğ Kayaalp <http://www.gkayaalp.com/>
                        024C 30DD 597D 142B 49AC
                        40EB 465C D949 B101 2427

Re: Gnus: Thread notes?

Robert Pluim
Göktuğ Kayaalp <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 2017-10-12 14:44 +02, Michael Heerdegen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I would like a simple feature in Gnus that could be described as "Thread
>> notes": when I click on a message, a file (maybe org) opens, maybe with
>> a link back to that message (the file itself would be attached to the
>> thread) where you could store some notes about the thread.
>
> IDK how you'd do this exact thing but, you can call ‘org-store-link’
> when viewing a message in Gnus, and then in an Org mode file, when you
> hit C-c C-l, a popup menu will list the stored link(s, in case you store
> more than one), there you can choose the link you want.

Another way to do this is with 'org-capture', which lets you define
templates that will capture notes, email links, etc, and then file
them away in an org file.

Robert

Re: Gnus: Thread notes?

Eric Abrahamsen-2
Michael Heerdegen <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> do you know the problem that after some time, you have forgotten which
> messages of a thread were important, and what you wanted to do after
> some consent has been made?
>
> I would like a simple feature in Gnus that could be described as "Thread
> notes": when I click on a message, a file (maybe org) opens, maybe with
> a link back to that message (the file itself would be attached to the
> thread) where you could store some notes about the thread.  When you
> later need to reconsider that thread, that file would serve as a summary
> of the aspects that were important to you, with links to the messages
> and text passages, so you spare the time to re-read the whole thread and
> find the passages yourself.
>
> Is something like that already possible, with means of Gnus or Org, that
> is similarly convenient?  I'm not a heavy org-mode user, so I would
> prefer a solution that is build up on Gnus instead of Org.
>
> Or do people have other interesting workflows that are worth sharing
> helping with that kind of problem?

I'll add a brief shameless plug for my package Gnorb (in Elpa) which
does something like this. Basically you can attach Gnus messages to an
Org heading (using the registry), and jump from the heading to an
ephemeral group holding all the related messages. Plus a bunch of other stuff.

Re: Gnus: Thread notes?

Narendra Joshi
Michael Heerdegen <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> do you know the problem that after some time, you have forgotten which
> messages of a thread were important, and what you wanted to do after
> some consent has been made?
>
> I would like a simple feature in Gnus that could be described as "Thread
> notes": when I click on a message, a file (maybe org) opens, maybe with
> a link back to that message (the file itself would be attached to the
> thread) where you could store some notes about the thread.  When you
> later need to reconsider that thread, that file would serve as a summary
> of the aspects that were important to you, with links to the messages
> and text passages, so you spare the time to re-read the whole thread and
> find the passages yourself.
>
> Is something like that already possible, with means of Gnus or Org, that
> is similarly convenient?  I'm not a heavy org-mode user, so I would
> prefer a solution that is build up on Gnus instead of Org.
>
> Or do people have other interesting workflows that are worth sharing
> helping with that kind of problem?
I have the following capture template for TODO's

#+name: org-capture-templates
#+begin_src org :session vicarious :exports both :results output
(setq org-capture-templates
        `(("i" "TODO" entry (file+headline "capture.org" "Tasks")
           ,(concat
             "* TODO %? %^g\n\n"
             "%(let ((link (plist-get org-store-link-plist :annotation)))"
             "     (if (string-empty-p link) "
             "         link "
             "       (concat \"Here: \" link))) ")
           :kill-buffer t)))
#+end_src

Every time I capture a TODO, a link to the buffer is saved in the TODO
entry.

Best,
Narendra Joshi

Re: Gnus: Thread notes?

Michael Heerdegen
Eric Abrahamsen <[hidden email]> writes:

> I'll add a brief shameless plug for my package Gnorb (in Elpa) which
> does something like this. Basically you can attach Gnus messages to an
> Org heading (using the registry), and jump from the heading to an
> ephemeral group holding all the related messages. Plus a bunch of
> other stuff.

Thanks for all answers and ideas!  I don't want to answer to all, so
here is a summary:

I already knew org capture commands - but as sole util, they don't alone
fit what I want.  It could only be a part.

I also knew that I can tick messages.  I already have hundreds of ticked
messages so that I started to mark messages as "unread" as a flag for
myself meaning "read it again - important".  Not a good workflow.

I then learned about the Gnus registry, which is a thing I not knew
about and which fills a gap which I wondered why it existed.  It allows
custom flags (solving the above problem) and storing arbitrary data
attached to a message.  It's very low-level, however, but it would allow
to implement what I want.

Finally, "Gnorb" seems to fit perfectly, though I was a bit skeptical
first cause it seemed a bit complicated.  It allows me to capture notes/
todos etc from the Gnus summary buffer.  I can let Gnus flag all
messages that have an org headline attached in the summary buffer,
directly jump to the headline from the messages buffer and back etc -
all I wanted.  Seems nice - how could something with such a nice name as
"Gnorb" disappoint you... ;-)

Regards,

Michael.

Re: Gnus: Thread notes?

Eric Abrahamsen-2
Michael Heerdegen <[hidden email]> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> I'll add a brief shameless plug for my package Gnorb (in Elpa) which
>> does something like this. Basically you can attach Gnus messages to an
>> Org heading (using the registry), and jump from the heading to an
>> ephemeral group holding all the related messages. Plus a bunch of
>> other stuff.
>
> Thanks for all answers and ideas!  I don't want to answer to all, so
> here is a summary:
>
> I already knew org capture commands - but as sole util, they don't alone
> fit what I want.  It could only be a part.
>
> I also knew that I can tick messages.  I already have hundreds of ticked
> messages so that I started to mark messages as "unread" as a flag for
> myself meaning "read it again - important".  Not a good workflow.

That exact state of affairs is what led me to write Gnorb :(

[...]

> Finally, "Gnorb" seems to fit perfectly, though I was a bit skeptical
> first cause it seemed a bit complicated.  It allows me to capture notes/
> todos etc from the Gnus summary buffer.  I can let Gnus flag all
> messages that have an org headline attached in the summary buffer,
> directly jump to the headline from the messages buffer and back etc -
> all I wanted.  Seems nice - how could something with such a nice name as
> "Gnorb" disappoint you... ;-)

Glad it's working! It does seem complicated, partly because it *is*
complicated, but partly because it's hard to explain the workflow in
words. I keep meaning to make a screencast of the tracking feature, but
I haven't gone and looked into packages for doing that. There's
something called "screenkey" that looks okay, but I'd like something
more Emacs aware, where you can filter out everything but commands from
a single package.

Anyway, please report bugs/feature requests. I've gotten a bit
distracted from Gnorb while working on EBDB, and now attacking bits of
Gnus, but it's really all the same project.

Eric

Re: Gnus: Thread notes?

Michael Heerdegen
Eric Abrahamsen <[hidden email]> writes:

> Anyway, please report bugs/feature requests. I've gotten a bit
> distracted from Gnorb while working on EBDB, and now attacking bits of
> Gnus, but it's really all the same project.

Maybe you could improve "landing" a bit.  For example, there's an info
manual, but I discovered it only by accident.  Could you just mention
its existence in the README file?

And maybe "4.8 Likely Workflow" could be "4.1" instead.  Users hate to
read a complete section if they don't know if it contains stuff that's
useful for them.  I think it would be better if the examples would come
first in the given circumstances.  At least this was my impression when
learning about Gnorb...

Regards,

Michael.

Re: Gnus: Thread notes?

Eric Abrahamsen-2
Michael Heerdegen <[hidden email]> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Anyway, please report bugs/feature requests. I've gotten a bit
>> distracted from Gnorb while working on EBDB, and now attacking bits of
>> Gnus, but it's really all the same project.
>
> Maybe you could improve "landing" a bit.  For example, there's an info
> manual, but I discovered it only by accident.  Could you just mention
> its existence in the README file?
>
> And maybe "4.8 Likely Workflow" could be "4.1" instead.  Users hate to
> read a complete section if they don't know if it contains stuff that's
> useful for them.  I think it would be better if the examples would come
> first in the given circumstances.  At least this was my impression when
> learning about Gnorb...

Good pointers! And easy to do.

Thanks,
Eric