GNU Emacs as a lightweight Java IDE (Debugging)

GNU Emacs as a lightweight Java IDE (Debugging)

Anand Tamariya
Hi,
Here's the third part in the series of using GNU Emacs as a lightweight Java IDE. Hope this helps people getting started on Java with Emacs.

Code:

Demo:
Part 1 (Auto-suggest): https://youtu.be/MWpvKSTz4qc
Part 2 (Refactoring): https://youtu.be/zmRac_BNbv0
Part 3 (Debugging): https://youtu.be/zmRac_BNbv0

Regards,
Anand

Re: GNU Emacs as a lightweight Java IDE (Debugging)

Anand Tamariya
Sorry, the debugging link is incorrect. Reposting the correct links.

Part 3 (Debugging): https://youtu.be/U2L0iLZI_cE

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 2:18 PM Anand Tamariya <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
Here's the third part in the series of using GNU Emacs as a lightweight Java IDE. Hope this helps people getting started on Java with Emacs.

Code:

Demo:
Part 1 (Auto-suggest): https://youtu.be/MWpvKSTz4qc
Part 2 (Refactoring): https://youtu.be/zmRac_BNbv0
Part 3 (Debugging): https://youtu.be/zmRac_BNbv0

Regards,
Anand

Re: GNU Emacs as a lightweight Java IDE (Debugging)

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]

  > Here's the third part in the series of using GNU Emacs as a lightweight
  > Java IDE.

That is interesting.  The first question that occurs to me is,
does it require any Emacs package that isn't in Emacs (incling GNU ELPA)?

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)

Re: GNU Emacs as a lightweight Java IDE (Debugging)

Anand Tamariya
Except for drop-down for auto-suggest, which uses company package, rest is some additional code on top of the emacs master branch. It's mostly EDE for project management, CAPF and GNU locate for auto-suggest, CEDET Semantic and Srecode for refactoring, and GUD jdb for debugging.

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 8:57 AM Richard Stallman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]

  > Here's the third part in the series of using GNU Emacs as a lightweight
  > Java IDE.

That is interesting.  The first question that occurs to me is,
does it require any Emacs package that isn't in Emacs (incling GNU ELPA)?

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)

Re: GNU Emacs as a lightweight Java IDE (Debugging)

Pankaj Jangid-2
> Except for drop-down for auto-suggest, which uses company package, rest is
> some additional code on top of the emacs master branch. It's mostly EDE for
> project management, CAPF and GNU locate for auto-suggest, CEDET Semantic
> and Srecode for refactoring, and GUD jdb for debugging.

Where can I get your customizations? Is this available as a package?

Re: GNU Emacs as a lightweight Java IDE (Debugging)

Anand Tamariya
The link to customization was in my first mail as well as in the video description. Anyway, here it is again.

Code:

It's not a separate package as I believe this should be part of base emacs. So I developed it as such.

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019, 19:08 Pankaj Jangid <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Except for drop-down for auto-suggest, which uses company package, rest is
> some additional code on top of the emacs master branch. It's mostly EDE for
> project management, CAPF and GNU locate for auto-suggest, CEDET Semantic
> and Srecode for refactoring, and GUD jdb for debugging.

Where can I get your customizations? Is this available as a package?

Re: GNU Emacs as a lightweight Java IDE (Debugging)

Pankaj Jangid-2
> The link to customization was in my first mail as well as in the video
> description. Anyway, here it is again.
>
> Code:
> Emacs customization (https://gitlab.com/atamariya/emacs/tree/dev)

Sorry for my ignorance and thanks for sharing again.

> It's not a separate package as I believe this should be part of base emacs.
> So I developed it as such.

Yes. That would be great.

What difference the LSPs make? There are so many options in that area -
Eclipse, IntelliJ servers. Do they have some advantage or is it just a
fad?

Re: GNU Emacs as a lightweight Java IDE (Debugging)

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]

  > Except for drop-down for auto-suggest, which uses company package, rest is

It sounds pretty good on that dimension.
Is company mode in the GNU ELPA?

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)

Re: GNU Emacs as a lightweight Java IDE (Debugging)

Anand Tamariya

Is company mode in the GNU ELPA?

Re: GNU Emacs as a lightweight Java IDE (Debugging)

Anand Tamariya

What difference the LSPs make? There are so many options in that area -
Eclipse, IntelliJ servers. Do they have some advantage or is it just a
fad?
IMHO LSP is to VSCode what CEDET Semantic is to Emacs. Only CEDET is a tad better and it predates LSP by almost two decades.
LSP offloads all language related editing to a language specific external
service. This overlooks the fact that programming languages are more
similar in their structure than there are differences. CEDET seems to have
beautifully captured this idea. For a demo, I've been able to use the
refactoring logic to extract method that I'd written for Java to refactor
Elisp code!!
For further discussion on the subject, you might want to go through this thread https://sourceforge.net/p/cedet/mailman/cedet-semantic/?viewmonth=201911

Thanks for sharing the insight and the resource.

Re: GNU Emacs as a lightweight Java IDE (Debugging)

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]

It is good that there is no obstacle. in terms of self-containedness,
to including your package in Emacs.

It is up to others to decide whether to do that.