Fwd: A completely pre-emptive time sharing system for GNU Emacs

Fwd: A completely pre-emptive time sharing system for GNU Emacs

Davin Pearson

On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 4:58:57 PM UTC+13, Davin Pearson wrote:

> Michael Abraham Shulman has written a coroutine feature for
> Emacs at the following location.
>
> https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/coroutine.el
>
> I am about to write a completely pre-emptive time-sharing system
> but first I need to know if I will be re-inventing the wheel.
>
> I hope my contribution to GNU Emacs is helpful for all the
> programmers out there who agonize over GNUS busy waiting all the
> time.

Re: Fwd: A completely pre-emptive time sharing system for GNU Emacs

Stefan Monnier
>> Michael Abraham Shulman has written a coroutine feature for
>> Emacs at the following location.
>> https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/coroutine.el

Current Emacsen come with generator.el which pushes this same idea
a good bit further (using a CPS-style translation).

>> I am about to write a completely pre-emptive time-sharing system
>> but first I need to know if I will be re-inventing the wheel.

Depends how you do it, but if I interpret this naively, then no,
definitely not.

Re: Fwd: A completely pre-emptive time sharing system for GNU Emacs

Emanuel Berg-5
Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> I am about to write a completely pre-emptive
>> time-sharing system but first I need to know
>> if I will be re-inventing the wheel.
>
> Depends how you do it, but if I interpret
> this naively, then no, definitely not.

I always thought Emacs had the kernel process
plus the "collaborative" idle timer and that
was just about it?