Frame split toggle

Ergus
Hi:

Simple question, does emacs has any function to change the window split
from horizontal to vertical. For example?

Thanks in advance
Ergus

Re: Frame split toggle

Doug Davis
Hi,

I don't think there is a builtin function; there's an EmacsWiki page
with some useful information here:
https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ToggleWindowSplit

cheers,
Doug

Re: Frame split toggle

Emacs - Help mailing list
Ergus wrote:

> Simple question, does emacs has any function
> to change the window split from horizontal
> to vertical.

`split-window-vertically' will split the window
vertically ... yes, it's the truth! ... if
that's what you mean?

If you want to change some default behavior
when splitting windows please tell what
function it is you use to do that.

https://dataswamp.org/~incal

Re: Frame split toggle

VanL

>> Simple question, does emacs has any function
>> to change the window split from horizontal
>> to vertical.
>
> `split-window-vertically' will split the window
> vertically ... yes, it's the truth! ... if
> that's what you mean?
>
> If you want to change some default behavior
> when splitting windows please tell what
> function it is you use to do that.

C-x 2 ; does split-window-below
C-x 3 ; does split-window-right

A use case could be for 'C-x 2' to always split in the direction of
toggle-state.  The symbols '-' and '|' make sense for toggle-state
direction as part of keychord.  That frees up 'C-x 3' for something
else, possibly as Prefix Command.

Re: Frame split toggle

Emacs - Help mailing list
VanL wrote:

> C-x 2 ; does split-window-below
> C-x 3 ; does split-window-right

`split-window-horizontally' and
`split-window-vertically' are aliases for
-below and -right, respectively.

Two aliases that one shouldn't be in a hurry
pruning IMO...

https://dataswamp.org/~incal

Re: Frame split toggle

Vegard Vesterheim