Emacs Menu Bar Question

paulie-2
Hi all,

I am just learning Linux and am trying to get to grips with emacs - so far
so good.  I use Ctl/Alt/F1 to go into terminal mode and use xemacs - no
problem, plain screen, keyboard commands only.  When I try emacs I get the
menu bar (File Edit Options etc) at the top of the screen but don't have a
mouse attached.  Is there a way to access the menu in a similar way as I
might in Windows (Alt key).

TIA, Paulie

Re: Emacs Menu Bar Question

David Kastrup
"Paulie" <[hidden email]> writes:

> I am just learning Linux and am trying to get to grips with emacs -
> so far so good.  I use Ctl/Alt/F1 to go into terminal mode and use
> xemacs - no problem, plain screen, keyboard commands only.  When I
> try emacs I get the menu bar (File Edit Options etc) at the top of
> the screen but don't have a mouse attached.  Is there a way to
> access the menu in a similar way as I might in Windows (Alt key).

F10, but be prepared to hate it.

Re: Emacs Menu Bar Question

Pascal J. Bourguignon
David Kastrup <[hidden email]> writes:

> "Paulie" <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> I am just learning Linux and am trying to get to grips with emacs -
>> so far so good.  I use Ctl/Alt/F1 to go into terminal mode and use
>> xemacs - no problem, plain screen, keyboard commands only.  When I
>> try emacs I get the menu bar (File Edit Options etc) at the top of
>> the screen but don't have a mouse attached.  Is there a way to
>> access the menu in a similar way as I might in Windows (Alt key).
>
> F10, but be prepared to hate it.

Yes, put this in your ~/.emacs:

    (menu-bar-mode 0)

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__                     http://www.informatimago.com/
The rule for today:

Re: Emacs Menu Bar Question

Tim Johnson
* Paulie <[hidden email]> [050602 08:55]:
> Hi all,
>
> I am just learning Linux and am trying to get to grips with emacs - so far
> so good.  I use Ctl/Alt/F1 to go into terminal mode and use xemacs - no
> problem, plain screen, keyboard commands only.  When I try emacs I get the
> menu bar (File Edit Options etc) at the top of the screen but don't have a
> mouse attached.  Is there a way to access the menu in a similar way as I
> might in Windows (Alt key).

 Hi Paulie:
 I'm brand new to GNU emacs myself (first week of usage), but I use
 tmm-menubar. I think it is bound by default to alt-` (backtick), but
 use my own binding.
 It is a Text-mode emulation of looking and choosing from a menubar,
 and is not "windows-like" but if you try it, you may like it.
 I do. I prefer it to the Xemacs 'accelerate-menu.

 HTH
 tim

--
Tim Johnson <[hidden email]>

Re: Emacs Menu Bar Question

paulie-2
<snip>

> F10, but be prepared to hate it.

I already do after 10 minutes - but thanks anyway.

Paulie