Emacs 25.2 & 25.3 is very slow and lags on Windows 10, 64 bit

Emacs 25.2 & 25.3 is very slow and lags on Windows 10, 64 bit

Daniel Hannaske
Hi,

today I tried to setup a new Emacs on Windows 10, Home Edition, 64-bit.
The pc has 8 GB RAM and an Intel i5-6400 CPU and should be fast enough
to allow a reasonable fast work with Emacs.

I tried the following Emacs versions:

- emacs-25.2-x86_64
- emacs-25.3-x86_64
- emacs-25.2-i686

(downloaded the zip files and unzipped them).

During my configuration with org-babel I noticed that the scrolling is
very slow and from time to time I have to wait a few seconds until Emacs
will scroll again. Also calling commands e.g. M-x has sometimes a
waiting period of a few seconds.

To be sure that my config and some external packages is causing that
issue I checked if the lagging  also occurs with a fresh install without
any config files. And yes that lagging occured there as well.

If I load in those Emacs an org file (1.7 kb) and scroll it up and down
than I will get that lagging. I will also get it if I scroll via the
mouse.

I have no idea what can be the reason or how to prevent it. Maybe
somebody can help or know what to check next.

Best regards,

Daniel

  Daniel Hannaske

Re: Emacs 25.2 & 25.3 is very slow and lags on Windows 10, 64 bit

Eli Zaretskii
> From: Daniel Hannaske <[hidden email]>
> Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 13:30:32 +0200
>
> I tried the following Emacs versions:
>
> - emacs-25.2-x86_64
> - emacs-25.3-x86_64
> - emacs-25.2-i686
>
> (downloaded the zip files and unzipped them).
>
> During my configuration with org-babel I noticed that the scrolling is
> very slow and from time to time I have to wait a few seconds until Emacs
> will scroll again. Also calling commands e.g. M-x has sometimes a
> waiting period of a few seconds.
>
> To be sure that my config and some external packages is causing that
> issue I checked if the lagging  also occurs with a fresh install without
> any config files. And yes that lagging occured there as well.
>

> If I load in those Emacs an org file (1.7 kb) and scroll it up and down
> than I will get that lagging. I will also get it if I scroll via the
> mouse.
>
> I have no idea what can be the reason or how to prevent it. Maybe
> somebody can help or know what to check next.

Does the slow scrolling happen with a non-Org files, or if you expand
all of the hidden levels of the Org file?  Also, how large is your Org
file?

And finally, where did you download the Emacs binaries from?

FWIW, i have a 5-year old i7 machine here with 4GB of RAM, and I see
no problems with scrolling through a 1500-line Org file, whether
expanded or with hidden parts.

Re: Emacs 25.2 & 25.3 is very slow and lags on Windows 10, 64 bit

Sivaram Neelakantan
On Tue, Oct 10 2017,Daniel Hannaske wrote:

[snipped 18 lines]

> To be sure that my config and some external packages is causing that
> issue I checked if the lagging  also occurs with a fresh install without
> any config files. And yes that lagging occured there as well.
>

> If I load in those Emacs an org file (1.7 kb) and scroll it up and down
> than I will get that lagging. I will also get it if I scroll via the
> mouse.

When I had the same problem, most of the time, some windows patch was
going on and a reboot solved it.  Usually.

[snipped 7 lines]

sivaram

Re: Emacs 25.2 & 25.3 is very slow and lags on Windows 10, 64 bit

Daniel Hannaske
I got Emacs from the main GNU ftp server
(http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/). The org file isn't that big. It
has 500 lines and only headings, some text and Lisp Babel blocks.

Today I tried it again at home and at work and Emacs was behaving normal
without any lagging. Seems it was only a temporary issue probably
because of the current Windows session.

Could be a similar problem as Sivaram mentioned.

Best regards,

Daniel

 Daniel Hannaske

On Wed, Oct 11 2017,Daniel Hannaske wrote:

> I got Emacs from the main GNU ftp server
> (http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/). The org file isn't that big. It
> has 500 lines and only headings, some text and Lisp Babel blocks.
>
> Today I tried it again at home and at work and Emacs was behaving normal
> without any lagging. Seems it was only a temporary issue probably
> because of the current Windows session.
>
> Could be a similar problem as Sivaram mentioned.

Windows 10 baffles me;  I have no idea patches are being installed or
downloaded in the background.  Ever since my Emacs slowdown to 60+
seconds from the usual 6-8 seconds, I've noticed random Emacs slowdown
in terms of navigation of buffers and typing text.  The system load
which is usually around 0.3-0.5 on the modeline would show something
like 3.1 to 4.8, just for typing some text.

Leaving Emacs alone for sometime solves the lag issue or a restart of
Emacs also does work.  And if the problem persists I do a reboot.

All this with no or little change to the .Emacs file or installation
of any new package

sivaram

Re: Emacs 25.2 & 25.3 is very slow and lags on Windows 10, 64 bit

Eli Zaretskii
> From: Sivaram Neelakantan <[hidden email]>
> Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 23:05:37 +0530
>
> > Could be a similar problem as Sivaram mentioned.
>
> Windows 10 baffles me;  I have no idea patches are being installed or
> downloaded in the background.

Windows 10 has a setting that tells it to install updates only while
you are not actively using it.  maybe you should use that setting.