[ELPA] New package: xr

Re: [ELPA] New package: xr

Richard Stallman
[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]

  > I know, but what I don't understand is how ERC etc. are different from
  > a package stored on ELPA.

I did not say they are different.  My understanding is that we treat ALL
the packages in ELPA as part of Emacs.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

Re: [ELPA] New package: xr

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]

  > > I expect that saying "my file foo is a change to Emacs" is enough.

  > Saying where?

In email to you; you forward that to [hidden email].

Putting it in a version of the file, that you get fron the contributor
and install, would also be ok.

Maybe some other ways would also be good enough, but they don'tcome to
my mind just now.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

Re: [ELPA] New package: xr

Eli Zaretskii
> From: Richard Stallman <[hidden email]>
> Cc: [hidden email], [hidden email]
> Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2019 00:51:58 -0500
>
>   > > I expect that saying "my file foo is a change to Emacs" is enough.
>
>   > Saying where?
>
> In email to you; you forward that to [hidden email].

In addition to saying in the file that "this file is part of GNU
Emacs"?  Or is the latter enough?

Re: [ELPA] New package: xr

> From: Richard Stallman <[hidden email]>
> Cc: [hidden email], [hidden email]
> Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2019 00:51:58 -0500
>
>   > I know, but what I don't understand is how ERC etc. are different from
>   > a package stored on ELPA.
>
> I did not say they are different.  My understanding is that we treat ALL
> the packages in ELPA as part of Emacs.

But for packages we add to Emacs, and place into the Emacs Git
repository, we didn't until now request any statement from the author,
we assumed that being in the repository is a clear sign that the
package is part of Emacs.  We also assumed that being in the ELPA
repository is a clear sign of the same.  Now it sounds like we were
mistaken?

Re: [ELPA] New package: xr

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]

  > In addition to saying in the file that "this file is part of GNU
  > Emacs"?  Or is the latter enough?

If that statement is present in the file when the contributor emails
it to you, I think that does the job.  To make sure the FSF knows this,
please forward that email to the FSF clerk.

--
Dr Richard Stallman