Documenting a preference for US English?

Documenting a preference for US English?

Phil Sainty
On 2017-10-13 01:04, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Thanks, this is fine with me, but please in the future use the US
> English spelling of words such as "behavior".

Sure, I'll attempt to keep this in mind in future.

I spotted that I had both spellings of that word (I'd copied the US
spelling from your suggestion, but typed the UK spelling elsewhere),
and I then spent some time trying to establish whether US spelling
was preferred, but (a) I didn't find anything in the documentation,
and (b) I found other pre-existing instances of UK English elsewhere,
so I ended up changing them to the UK spelling for internal consistency
with the rest of the documentation I'd written (on the assumption that
there may have been other such words as well -- UK spelling is never
going to jump out at me as wrong, so I won't necessarily realise if a
given word has a different spelling in US English in the first place).

I've also now found the following discussion from 2008 regarding the
existing instances of UK English:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-06/msg01848.html

Is there such a recommendation in the documentation that I missed,
though?  If not, it sounds like it would be a good thing to add
somewhere.

I had grepped for "english" and then for "american" and "US" within
those results, and didn't turn up any instructions to this end.

There is, however, the following example in lisp/textmodes/ispell.el:

;; Local Variables:
;; mode: emacs-lisp
;; comment-column: 40
;; ispell-check-comments: exclusive
;; ispell-local-dictionary: "american"
;; End:

Perhaps the Emacs repository's .dir-locals.el entry for emacs-lisp-mode
ought to include these ispell variables?

-Phil

Re: Documenting a preference for US English?

Marcin Borkowski-3

On 2017-10-12, at 23:24, Phil Sainty <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've also now found the following discussion from 2008 regarding the
> existing instances of UK English:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-06/msg01848.html

How about this?

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2005-06/msg00451.html

;-)

Best,

Marcin Borkowski

Re: Documenting a preference for US English?

Paul Eggert
Phil Sainty wrote:
> I had grepped for "english" and then for "american" and "US" within
> those results, and didn't turn up any instructions to this end.

$ grep -ri 'american spell' $(git ls-files)
ChangeLog.2: Rename using American spelling.  Update all uses.
doc/lispref/ChangeLog.1: Prefer typical American spelling for "acknowledgment".
doc/misc/ChangeLog.1: Prefer typical American spelling for "acknowledgment".
lisp/ChangeLog.16: Prefer typical American spelling for "acknowledgment".
lisp/ChangeLog.16: Emacs uses American spelling.
lisp/gnus/ChangeLog.3: Use American spelling for 'normalize'

> Is there such a recommendation in the documentation that I missed,
> though?  If not, it sounds like it would be a good thing to add
> somewhere.

Sure, why not? I installed the attached.

0001-CONTRIBUTE-Suggest-American-English.patch (961 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Documenting a preference for US English?

Thien-Thi Nguyen-3

() Phil Sainty <[hidden email]>
() Fri, 13 Oct 2017 10:24:17 +1300

   Is there such a recommendation in the documentation that I
   missed, though?  If not, it sounds like it would be a good
   thing to add somewhere.

Not in the proper docs, but an anchor for them (eventually):

 http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=78479a398

Thanks for prompting.

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen -----------------------------------------------
 (defun responsep (query)

Re: Documenting a preference for US English?

> Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 10:24:17 +1300
> From: Phil Sainty <[hidden email]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[hidden email]>
>
> There is, however, the following example in lisp/textmodes/ispell.el:
>
> ;; Local Variables:
> ;; mode: emacs-lisp
> ;; comment-column: 40
> ;; ispell-check-comments: exclusive
> ;; ispell-local-dictionary: "american"
> ;; End:
>
> Perhaps the Emacs repository's .dir-locals.el entry for emacs-lisp-mode
> ought to include these ispell variables?

That could be problematic, since we have in the repository a small
amount of documents that are not written in US English (nor in English
in general).  For example, the tutorials.