Connection hangs on consecutive ssh reconnects but works on Emacs restart

Connection hangs on consecutive ssh reconnects but works on Emacs restart

Mikhail-2
Greetings and thanks in advance!

I am having troubles with connecting via ssh multihop to a remote file
system. Weirdly if I restart Emacs connection works for some time.
However after a while TRAMP starts to hang on requests. Restarting Emacs
helps for some time again.

Attaching the trace I get in the debug buffer (I had to interrrupt the
process with Ctrl-g because it seems to run endlessly).

Thanks,

-Mikhail

tramp.txt (8K) Download Attachment

Re: Connection hangs on consecutive ssh reconnects but works on Emacs restart

Michael Albinus
Mikhail <[hidden email]> writes:

> Greetings and thanks in advance!

Hi Mikhail,

> I am having troubles with connecting via ssh multihop to a remote file
> system. Weirdly if I restart Emacs connection works for some
> time. However after a while TRAMP starts to hang on
> requests. Restarting Emacs helps for some time again.
>
> Attaching the trace I get in the debug buffer (I had to interrrupt the
> process with Ctrl-g because it seems to run endlessly).

Well, what we see is this:

> 13:59:08.590370 tramp-send-command (6) # test -e /storage1/mikpom/ 2>/dev/null; echo tramp_exit_status $?

Tramp sends the command "test -e /storage1/mikpom/ 2>/dev/null; echo
tramp_exit_status $?".

> 13:59:09.591798 tramp-accept-process-output (10) # *tramp/ssh horsehop* run nil
> 13:59:10.593090 tramp-accept-process-output (10) # *tramp/ssh horsehop* run nil
> 13:59:11.593979 tramp-accept-process-output (10) # *tramp/ssh horsehop* run nil

[...]

Tramp waits for a response of this command.

> 13:59:28.964869 tramp-file-name-handler (1) # Interrupt received in operation (file-exists-p /ssh:horsehop:/storage1/mikpom/)

You have interrupted the proces.

We don't know, whether the remote has sent a response Tramp doesn't
understand, or it hasn't sent anything. Hard to analyze further.

You said it happened several times for you. Next time, pls send a report
via "M-x tramp-bug", and accept appending Tramp buffers. This will give
us more information, which could help analysis.

Btw, which Emacs/Tramp versions do you use?

> Thanks,
>
> -Mikhail

Best regards, Michael.