Best Emacs Mail client.

M. P.
Hello I wondering what the best mail client is for me to use. I do not want to use gnus. I just want a really good mail client that can handle pop and map. Can Rmail support POP and Imap? Should I look elsware?

Re: Best Emacs Mail client.

Skip Montanaro
> Hello I wondering what the best mail client is for me to use.

When I first started reading email in Emacs, probably 30 years ago, I used
Rmail. I eventually switched to vm because it sorted mbox format. I haven't
used either in a long while, but I'm fairly certain they both support IMAP.
I'm lazy and just use Gmail these days, but still use vm to work through
email categorized as unsure by SpamBayes on mail.python.org.

Skip

Re: Best Emacs Mail client.

Doug Davis
I use mbsync [1] to sync emails with IMAP servers, msmtp for sending
over SMTP [2], and mu4e [3] for reading mail (and steering msmtp) in
Emacs. I'd recommend the setup to anyone -- I have multiple accounts
operating smoothly with it.

[1] http://isync.sourceforge.net/
[2] https://marlam.de/msmtp/
[3] http://www.djcbsoftware.nl/code/mu/

Re: Best Emacs Mail client.

Byung-Hee HWANG (황병희)
Doug Davis <[hidden email]> writes:

> I use mbsync [1] to sync emails with IMAP servers,

instead, i use getmail then `G f' open the mbox.

screenshot: (very fast than imap)
https://gitlab.com/soyeomul/Gnus/blob/master/ss/Screenshot_from_2019-10-30_10-51-31.png

Sincerely,

^고맙습니다 _地平天成_ 감사합니다_^))//

Re: Best Emacs Mail client.

Jude DaShiell-2
gnus may eventually be useable but that will need a real competent
documentation rewrite.

On Tue, 29 Oct 2019, Doug Davis wrote:

> Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 21:23:43
> From: Doug Davis <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Best Emacs Mail client.
>
> I use mbsync [1] to sync emails with IMAP servers, msmtp for sending
> over SMTP [2], and mu4e [3] for reading mail (and steering msmtp) in
> Emacs. I'd recommend the setup to anyone -- I have multiple accounts
> operating smoothly with it.
>
> [1] http://isync.sourceforge.net/
> [2] https://marlam.de/msmtp/
> [3] http://www.djcbsoftware.nl/code/mu/

Re: Best Emacs Mail client.

George Hartzell
Skip Montanaro writes:
 > > Hello I wondering what the best mail client is for me to use.
 > >
 >
 > When I first started reading email in Emacs, probably 30 years ago, I used
 > Rmail. I eventually switched to vm because it sorted mbox format. I haven't
 > used either in a long while, but I'm fairly certain they both support IMAP.
 > I'm lazy and just use Gmail these days, but still use vm to work through
 > email categorized as unsure by SpamBayes on mail.python.org.
 >
 > Skip

I can second VM.  It's moribund as a project but keeps on working.

g.

Re: Best Emacs Mail client.

Byung-Hee HWANG (황병희)

In addition, thanks Doug for recommending MU4E.
Someday i want to test MU4E ;;;

^고맙습니다 _地平天成_ 감사합니다_^))//

Re: Best Emacs Mail client.

Jean Louis
* M.R.P. zensky <[hidden email]> [2019-10-29 23:06]:
> Hello I wondering what the best mail client is for me to use. I do
> not want to use gnus. I just want a really good mail client that can
> handle pop and map. Can Rmail support POP and Imap? Should I look
> elsware?

Well... I also wonder about that.

For me, so far, the best way to handle large amounts of emails is
using emacs-libvterm module
https://github.com/jixiuf/emacs-libvterm and mutt email client under
the libvterm within emacs. http://www.mutt.org

I am using Maildirs, for which Emacs does not have support, see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maildir

In my setup every conversation is saved to the ~/Maildir folder
correspoding to the email, like ~/Maildir/[hidden email] then I can
quickly open up previous conversation with the user.

Rmail reads from rmail/mbox file. Not from IMAP. POP you should not
even use, change your provider if you are offered POP. Use always
secure connections to IMAP.

movemail software can move from IMAP to local folder. movemail utility
you may find in GNU Mailutils, being better than the movemail bundled
with the Emacs, see http://www.mailutils.org/ it works like charm, and
it is GNU. It can do some serious magic in handling emails.

My fcrontab entry is:

@ 5 /home/data1/protected/bin/rcd/move-mail.lisp

which is outside script that runs movemail for few IMAP boxes, and
moves mail to local ~/Maildir but you could adapt it to move mail to
local mbox file. Then you could read it with Rmail, which is quite
good in handling emails, but not reliable for me, as I am accessing
emails sometimes with multiple instances of mutt or other tools.

There are other packages for email handling in Emacs, you could look
in list of packages, like Wonderlust and MH-E which is I think built
in package. MH-E is better than Rmail in my opinion, it has good
features and handling of emails, see info for: mh-e

Yet those I cannot use, as I am using Maildir format, for me, mutt is
great solution, and it is running within Emacs frame.

Jean

Re: Best Emacs Mail client.

arthur miller
I understand that guns have some rather steep learning curve, but so does Emacs. However both gmail and nowadays outlook/live/hotmail have switched pretty much to same model of displaying messages as webforum disscution/conversation. It feels as a quite solid proof of concept to me, so it might be worth investment to learn few new shortcuts and use built in guns.

I use it myself for gmail and live as imap client and works fine. Did required some hair pulling to initially configure until I got it, but it works quite fine, just like any other client, with bonus of no additional software needed.

I don't use 3rd party clients like notmuch or similar to download mail either, I just do with guns.

I understand it is exact contrary of what you ask for, so feel free to ignore my opinion, I just ment to give you a second thought about guns since it is already in Emacs and thus convenient to use.

Best regards
/a

Skickat från min Samsung Galaxy-smartphone.

* M.R.P. zensky <[hidden email]> [2019-10-29 23:06]:
> Hello I wondering what the best mail client is for me to use. I do
> not want to use gnus. I just want a really good mail client that can
> handle pop and map. Can Rmail support POP and Imap? Should I look
> elsware?

Well... I also wonder about that.

For me, so far, the best way to handle large amounts of emails is
using emacs-libvterm module
https://github.com/jixiuf/emacs-libvterm and mutt email client under
the libvterm within emacs. http://www.mutt.org

I am using Maildirs, for which Emacs does not have support, see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maildir

In my setup every conversation is saved to the ~/Maildir folder
correspoding to the email, like ~/Maildir/[hidden email] then I can
quickly open up previous conversation with the user.

Rmail reads from rmail/mbox file. Not from IMAP. POP you should not
even use, change your provider if you are offered POP. Use always
secure connections to IMAP.

movemail software can move from IMAP to local folder. movemail utility
you may find in GNU Mailutils, being better than the movemail bundled
with the Emacs, see http://www.mailutils.org/ it works like charm, and
it is GNU. It can do some serious magic in handling emails.

My fcrontab entry is:

@ 5 /home/data1/protected/bin/rcd/move-mail.lisp

which is outside script that runs movemail for few IMAP boxes, and
moves mail to local ~/Maildir but you could adapt it to move mail to
local mbox file. Then you could read it with Rmail, which is quite
good in handling emails, but not reliable for me, as I am accessing
emails sometimes with multiple instances of mutt or other tools.

There are other packages for email handling in Emacs, you could look
in list of packages, like Wonderlust and MH-E which is I think built
in package. MH-E is better than Rmail in my opinion, it has good
features and handling of emails, see info for: mh-e

Yet those I cannot use, as I am using Maildir format, for me, mutt is
great solution, and it is running within Emacs frame.

Jean

Re: Best Emacs Mail client.

황병희-2
Hello zensky,

"M.R.P. zensky" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello I wondering what the best mail client is for me to use. I do not
> want to use gnus. I just want a really good mail client that can
> handle pop and map. Can Rmail support POP and Imap? Should I look
> elsware?

Or, you would be make Gnus liks as:

- personal messages is to join with nnimap (imap)
- public mailing messages is to join with Gmane (nntp)

Your life will be more happy if you study gnus-posting-style ;;;

Sincerely,

^고맙습니다 _地平天成_ 감사합니다_^))//

Re: Best Emacs Mail client.

Jude DaShiell-2
Haven't been able to find anything on youtube that actually
concentrates on gnus.  Other mentions of gnus but those videos deal
with wonderlust and other packages.
I got gnus working with usenet but not e-mail yet.

wrote:

> Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 04:44:32
> From: ??? <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Best Emacs Mail client.
>
> Hello zensky,
>
> "M.R.P. zensky" <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > Hello I wondering what the best mail client is for me to use. I do not
> > want to use gnus. I just want a really good mail client that can
> > handle pop and map. Can Rmail support POP and Imap? Should I look
> > elsware?
>
> Or, you would be make Gnus liks as:
>
> - personal messages is to join with nnimap (imap)
> - public mailing messages is to join with Gmane (nntp)
>
> Your life will be more happy if you study gnus-posting-style ;;;
>
> Sincerely,

Re: Best Emacs Mail client.

> Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 08:54:20 +0100
> From: Jean Louis <[hidden email]>
> Cc: [hidden email]
>
> I am using Maildirs, for which Emacs does not have support, see
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maildir

AFAIK, Gnus does support Maildir.

> Rmail reads from rmail/mbox file. Not from IMAP. POP you should not
> even use, change your provider if you are offered POP. Use always
> secure connections to IMAP.

There's secure POP, sometimes called APOP, so it is entirely possible
to use Rmail securely.

Re: Best Emacs Mail client.

Marcio T
Same case for me. Newsgroups are already configured in Emacs/Gnus but
I am struggling with authentication problems when entering my user/pass.
Therefore I am using Thunderbird, but the goal is to move 100% to Emacs
as soon as I can get it working.

I found a few guides in Internet and none of them worked (so far) for me.

Cheers,

Marcio

On 27/11/2019 08:49, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> Haven't been able to find anything on youtube that actually
> concentrates on gnus.  Other mentions of gnus but those videos deal
> with wonderlust and other packages.
> I got gnus working with usenet but not e-mail yet.
>
> wrote:
>
>> Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 04:44:32
>> From: ??? <[hidden email]>
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: Best Emacs Mail client.
>>
>> Hello zensky,
>>
>> "M.R.P. zensky" <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>> Hello I wondering what the best mail client is for me to use. I do not
>>> want to use gnus. I just want a really good mail client that can
>>> handle pop and map. Can Rmail support POP and Imap? Should I look
>>> elsware?
>>
>> Or, you would be make Gnus liks as:
>>
>> - personal messages is to join with nnimap (imap)
>> - public mailing messages is to join with Gmane (nntp)
>>
>> Your life will be more happy if you study gnus-posting-style ;;;
>>
>> Sincerely,

Re: Best Emacs Mail client.

arthur miller
See if this helps:

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Customizing-the-IMAP-Connection.html

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusGmail

https://koldfront.dk/text/gnus-email-tutorial.html

Here are few other clients + some gnus info:

https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/12927/reading-and-writing-email-with-emacs

I am not at home and don't have my computer with me, otherwise I would post my authentication for gnus and gmail/live I use.  Will be back home in two days again.

Skickat från min Samsung Galaxy-smartphone.

Same case for me. Newsgroups are already configured in Emacs/Gnus but
I am struggling with authentication problems when entering my user/pass.
Therefore I am using Thunderbird, but the goal is to move 100% to Emacs
as soon as I can get it working.

I found a few guides in Internet and none of them worked (so far) for me.

Cheers,

Marcio

On 27/11/2019 08:49, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> Haven't been able to find anything on youtube that actually
> concentrates on gnus.  Other mentions of gnus but those videos deal
> with wonderlust and other packages.
> I got gnus working with usenet but not e-mail yet.
>
> wrote:
>
>> Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 04:44:32
>> From: ??? <[hidden email]>
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: Best Emacs Mail client.
>>
>> Hello zensky,
>>
>> "M.R.P. zensky" <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>> Hello I wondering what the best mail client is for me to use. I do not
>>> want to use gnus. I just want a really good mail client that can
>>> handle pop and map. Can Rmail support POP and Imap? Should I look
>>> elsware?
>>
>> Or, you would be make Gnus liks as:
>>
>> - personal messages is to join with nnimap (imap)
>> - public mailing messages is to join with Gmane (nntp)
>>
>> Your life will be more happy if you study gnus-posting-style ;;;
>>
>> Sincerely,

Re: Best Emacs Mail client.

Pankaj Jangid-2
>> I am using Maildirs, for which Emacs does not have support, see
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maildir
> AFAIK, Gnus does support Maildir.

It does. But as far as I remember, Gnus stores some extra flags. This
makes it difficult to sync Maildir using tools like isync, offlineimap
etc.

So I use Gnus' built-in IMAP. It is slightly slower experience but it
makes me feel like a power-user.

Pankaj Jangid

Re: Best Emacs Mail client.

Herbert J. Skuhra-6
On Tue, 29 Oct 2019 23:05:16 +0100, "M.R.P. zensky" wrote:

> Hello I wondering what the best mail client is for me to use. I do
> not want to use gnus. I just want a really good mail client that can
> handle pop and map. Can Rmail support POP and Imap? Should I look
> elsware?

Wanderlust. Why is no one else suggesting it?
I use Gnus only for NNTP. I've never figured out how to speed it up.

Herbert

Re: Best Emacs Mail client.

George Hartzell
Herbert J. Skuhra writes:
 > On Tue, 29 Oct 2019 23:05:16 +0100, "M.R.P. zensky" wrote:
 > >
 > > Hello I wondering what the best mail client is for me to use. I do
 > > not want to use gnus. I just want a really good mail client that can
 > > handle pop and map. Can Rmail support POP and Imap? Should I look
 > > elsware?
 >
 > Wanderlust. Why is no one else suggesting it?
 > I use Gnus only for NNTP. I've never figured out how to speed it up.

Speaking of things that no one else is suggesting....

VM:  https://launchpad.net/vm

g.

Re: Best Emacs Mail client.

Emacs - Help mailing list
Herbert J. Skuhra wrote:

>> Hello I wondering what the best mail client
>> is for me to use. I do not want to use gnus.
>> I just want a really good mail client that
>> can handle pop and map. Can Rmail support
>> POP and Imap? Should I look elsware?
>
> Wanderlust. Why is no one else suggesting it?
> I use Gnus only for NNTP. I've never figured
> out how to speed it up.

That Gnus is slow is something I hear from time
to time so it must be true. But I never
experienced that! And I use it for NNTP/Usenet,
Gmane, and mail (the nnml backend). On an RPi3b
- CPU 1.2GHz, memory 1GB ... ?

https://dataswamp.org/~incal

Re: Best Emacs Mail client.

황병희-2
> [... long line snip ...] On an RPi3b
> - CPU 1.2GHz, memory 1GB ... ?

WowowowoW you Emanuel amazing machine!!!

Sincerely, Gnus' fan Byung-Hee

^고맙습니다 _地平天成_ 감사합니다_^))//

Re: Best Emacs Mail client.

황병희-2
Hello Herbert^^^

> Wanderlust. Why is no one else suggesting it?

Very early ago, i used Wanderlust for a month. Then again i again yes
again i move to Gnus. Because large imap foler like as LKML traffice
is same both Wanderlust and Gnus in speed. Plus Wanderlust is not easy to
install. In these days, i am so happy with Gnus over all real life.

Sincerely, Byung-Hee from South Korea

--
^고맙습니다 _地平天成_ 감사합니다_^))//

123