Any Windows wizards here?

Richard Stallman
[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]

The FSF needs the help of a Windows wizard to help us investigate a
software distribution for Windows.  It shouldnt be a lot of work.  Would
someone here be willing to help?

--
Dr Richard Stallman

Re: Any Windows wizards here?

John Covici
I am not a wizard, but depending on what iit is, I might be able to
help -- can you give more details?

--
Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
How do

         John Covici wb2una

Re: Any Windows wizards here?

Richard Stallman
[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]

It's a matter of studying some free application programs
to see what libraries their executables depend on, on Windows.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

Re: Any Windows wizards here?

John Covici
I don't think I have the tools to do that, sorry.

On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 22:11:37 -0400,
Richard Stallman wrote:

> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
>
> It's a matter of studying some free application programs
> to see what libraries their executables depend on, on Windows.
>
> --
> Dr Richard Stallman
> President, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)
> Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)

--
Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
How do
you spend it?

         John Covici wb2una

Re: Any Windows wizards here?

Óscar Fuentes
Richard Stallman <[hidden email]> writes:

> It's a matter of studying some free application programs
> to see what libraries their executables depend on, on Windows.

For run-time dependencies (dynamic link libraries) that's quite easy to
do, unless they use delayed-loading *and* obfuscation which, being free
applications, is highly unlikely.

If you are interested on transitive dependencies, the libraries are
closed and they use certain techniques, the complexity grows two or
three orders of magnitude unless there is credible documentation that
provides the info, but those techniques are not used often.

Re: Any Windows wizards here?

Nikolay Kudryavtsev
Hello, Richard.

I did something like this for Emacs, so I can probably help with that.
Please connect me with whoever is coordinating that project.

--
Best Regards,
Nikolay Kudryavtsev

Re: Any Windows wizards here?

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]

  > For run-time dependencies (dynamic link libraries) that's quite easy to
  > do,

It isn't easy for us -- we are not Windows users.
Would you like to do it for us?

--
Dr Richard Stallman